Friday, August 6, 2010

Fanning the flame - part 2

(scroll down to read part 1 in my previous post)

In the fall of 2009, as I was seeking to know how to use the passion for hurting children, I started to get anxious about my finances.

I need to back up and say this - in May 2009, when my world as I knew it was falling apart and I was having to make the decision to not return to Nigeria, I received an email from a friend. "Erin, I've always supported the ministry in Nigeria financially, but I have never thought to ask if you need support. Do you need help?"
At that time, my supporters had started to drift away, as expected, because I had been in a holding pattern. "I sure do need help! But it's up to you whether or not you want to send it to SIM to get a tax-deduction or to me personally."

A few days later I got a check in the mail. For $10,000. Yes, $10,000. I did not add an extra zero or two. $10,000. I was shocked. I was stunned. I was sooooo thrilled. And I heard the Lord say, "I will take care of you. Be still".

A few days later, I laid down my 'Isaac', Nigeria, on the altar.

The months that followed are what I referred to in my previous post.

So now back to the fall. Seeking, praying, but getting anxious about my finances. I had stopped receiving support through SIM. The $10,000 had been designated to paying my rent (whew!).  I was anxious to not be lazy. Anxious to use the skills of nursing. Anxious to serve children in need. But I was mostly determined to obey. I had learned a lot during the previous months. One thing I learned is not to assume things from or about God. He has His Holy standards and His Word and He will never veer from these. He is God and He does things His way and man cannot always discern His ways. Ok, who am I kidding, we can rarely discern His ways.

I wanted to honor the fact that I had graduated from a great nursing program and could (should?) use nursing as a way to make a living. It was a strange concept, though, because for 4 years, using my nursing skills was a way to bring love to people in Nigeria and had no money attached.

I was searching for nursing jobs in Chicago and none of them blew my skirt up, if you know what I mean. Then I came across one that was for a home health company, to care for elderly patients in their homes. I definitely have a soft spot for our elders (don't get me started on how this current culture is racking up bad points for the lack of respect for our elders. I mean, at least let them go through the door first, people!) ok, that's for another blog, because this one is about children....

Anyways, this job position seemed ok, so I figured I would give it a shot. I went to the interview (on a Thursday morning) and it went really well. Was interviewed by 3 people at the same time. They spent most of the time telling me all about the company and what I could expect. They did ask some key questions and seemed happy with my answers and my resume. At the end of the interview, the director told me the salary, discussed the benefits, looked at her colleagues and then said, "Erin, we think you'll be a good fit. Think about it over the weekend. Let us know if you have any questions. And we'll talk on Monday."

Ok, so they offered me the job, right? Everyone I've told this story to, especially my friends in the corporate world say "Yes, you were offered the job."

I spent the weekend praying about it. It all seemed like a fit. Good money, good location, I could serve the hurting and do a decent job at it. Figured I would accept the job and start a new chapter in life.

Come Monday, though, I received an email from the company saying that they were going to continue interviewing people and would get back to me on Friday. What?!?

The wind was knocked out of me and I went back to the Lord in earnest prayer for two days. I should insert here that I had been praying for a long time that God would help me to hear His Spirit and be quick to obey.

On Wednesday morning, two days later, I was praying about the whole situation and, without a doubt, His Spirit said "They will not call you on Friday like they said they will. But they will call you at some point. And when they call you, do NOT accept the job."

The flame that had been flickering in the midst of indecision and possible changes was once again doused with Holy fuel. His guidance gave me such peace and confidence and assurance that He was listening and He was working.

I called my parents the same day to tell them what He said, to have them as witnesses when it came to pass.

Just as He said, they did not call me on Friday. Or the next Friday, or the next.... Six weeks later they called me. And emailed me. And called me again. And emailed me again. All within 36 hours.

To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment